I managed to complete the quilt top today, and, for the most part, I’m happy with how it turned out.
First, I had to trim/square up all the light blocks:
As you can see, lots of colorful trimmings went into the trashcan:
Next, I paired up and stitched the light blocks into the half-block sub-units:
Then I paired up the half blocks to make the full blocks:
Next I paired up light and dark blocks and stitched them so they alternated dark/light in rows of four blocks, then stitched the five rows into the main body of the top. Finally, I added borders to get this:
If I had it to do over again, there are a few things I would change:
- I would use fabrics that were closer in color (lime greens and peacock blues) and value, but differed in pattern – I wouldn’t use such light/dark values. Well, not for this one, anyway.
- I would use 2.5″ strips, instead of 1.5″ strips. This would make the pattern larger, as well as the final quilt. It would also make the seams easier to manage, I would think.
- I might make all the blocks identical, rather than using a different set of colors for the alternate blocks.
Next, I need to put the back together and then quilt and bind the thing. So, it’s definitely getting there!
Tomorrow will be a break from the quilt, as we are expecting friends for dinner, and I’ll have to go to work , as well. So I’m sure my creativity will be used to work on that pesky database again. But no worries, better to be able to work creatively than to not work at all!